October 17, 2021 - 10:00 am
October 17, 2021 - 3:00 pm
AddressMeet at the Pickled Wrinkle Parking Lot, 9E Schoodic Drive, Birch Harbor View map
Watercolor Plein Air Painting with Mary Laury
Sunday, October 17 – 10:00 am – 3:00 pm
Rain date: Sunday, October 24
Plein Air painting at Wonsqueak: We will paint the lovely little harbor at Wonsqueak. Sky,water, rocks, trees, and some fall colored underbrush. Painting outdoors can be daunting, so we will discuss how to pack light and how to focus your view to contain your subject. We will start with a demo and then paint our own vision.
Meet at the Pickled Wrinkle Parking Lot, 9E Schoodic Drive, Birch Harbor
Materials List: Bring whatever watercolor supplies you have on hand. Mary’s favorites are:
Winsor and Newton Tube Paints (preferred) or Cotman:
- French Ultra Marine Blue
- Alizarin Crimson, (or Cadmium Red Med.)
- New Gamboge Yellow (or Cadmium yellow med.)
- Olive Green, (or Sap)
- Burnt Sienna
ROYAL brushes or Cotman Series 111
- #2 round
- #6 round
- 1″ flat
- A white watercolor pallet with adequate mixing surface,
Paper: We will cut these large sheets in to several pieces. Just get one sheet of each if you can.
- Strathmore Bristol Board series 500 3 ply (22X29″) Either smooth or regular surface work equally well.
- Arches 140 pound cold press
Other helpful things:
- Sketch paper. I use the back of old computer paper.
- Razor blades (single edge)
- Masking tape
- Water container – a yogurt container is fine
- Viva paper towels
- Clipboard or backing for paper